Fantastic Beasts and seismic shaking

nov22earthquakes

some of the november 22nd earthquakes, from http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

As I write this I’m on the schedule to fly south to McMurdo tomorrow morning,  weather permitting.  After taking care of my business at the CDC earlier today (see my last post) I had a quick lunch (caesar salad with venison) and spent a couple of hours writing reference letters for students.  After that I really needed a little bit of an escape,  so I went to the movies;  specifically a late afternoon matinee of  the latest “Potterverse” film,  “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”.  And before any of you with children utter “how dare you go to a kids movie without your kids” you should know I got explicit permission from my wife,  so I could tell her if it was suitable for our 8-year-old daughter Scout  (unfortunately there’s several scenes that are probably too scary for her).

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts. I wasn’t a huge fan of the later Harry Potter movies because they were overly dark and poorly-paced, but this one I liked a lot. There’s no comparing the Fantastic Beasts moving to the book;  the movie is a completely different story. The acting was superb,  particularly the two male leads, the sound track is fantastic, and the special effects definitely add to the story.  It helped that I watched the movie in great comfort in an almost empty theatre.

It’s not much of a spoiler to say that a running magical battle makes up a lot of the climax of the movie (it’s the Potterverse, after all).  But in the middle of the battle I realized there was more going on –  the theatre was shaking and it wasn’t from the barrage of sound. It was an earthquake, one that continued to shake for a long time.  There were five people in the theatre, and after about two minutes of continuous shaking,   two left quickly, I went and stood in the doorway, and an older couple just stayed in their seats and watched the movie.

The shaking is still going on.  I’ve felt a few earthquakes before, but they all took the form of a jolt that peaked in a few short seconds and then decayed away equally quickly.  These just kept shaking and rolling,  with a period of about 1/3 of a second, and I now appreciate how continuously shaking ground gives you a feeling of helplessness.

You can see this sequence of quakes at the amazing Christchurch earthquake website:  http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/;  the earthquakes I felt in the theatre began about 18:10 (on November 22) and the shaking was almost continuous for an hour.  The largest individual quake was 5.7 magnitude, but there were a lot of 4+ magnitude quakes in there too.  They occur only 50 km or so from Christchurch, in  a tight area distant from the recent quakes near Hamner Springs and Kaikoura.There’s a good story at the Christchurch press:  http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86758316/christchurch-shaken-by-severe-earthquake.

Feeling a little bit shaken, no pun intended.

-Posted by Ralph from Christchurch.