Team B arrives at Mt. Wisting

View out the Twin Otter en route to the field site. (editor’s note: Wisting, Prestrud, etc. are not visible in this image. The large glacier stretching from L to R is the upper Shackleton, behind it Bennett Platform).

Warm wishes from Mt. Wisting!
Team B was successfully put in today with four Twin Otter flights. It was a beautiful day continent-wide but the winds picked up as the day went on. We arrived at the field site around 16:30. The winds were pushing 20 KTs and it made for quite a challenging setting up of camp. We all worked through it and as I’m typing this at 21:30 are settled in our tents with all major duties accomplished. (Author’s note: That was 5-10 minutes ago so John is likely fast asleep next door – one of the many skills that man has that I am envious of.) With the tent door wrapped nicely closed it is only now I realize I do not have a photo of field site. Alas, one from the flight in will have to suffice for now. We have some organizing to do and then we’ll maybe reach out to the producers of “Cribs” and see if they want to come check out our humble abode – all 64 sq. ft. of it. For some reason I think they’ll decline.
Posted by Scott at Mt. Wisting on 2017-12-15 at 21:45.

Editor’s note 2:  I wasn’t sure where the team would start this year.  Initial plan was to start at the Nodvedt Nunataks;  I think our online calendar says Amundsen Glacier;  and here they are at Mt. Wisting/Prestrud.  Mt. Wisting/Prestrud (and Mt. Bjaaland is part of the nunataks as well) are the only sites among the recon team’s targets where we KNOW there are meteorites, so there’s work to be done and the newbies would surely get to see meteorites , and that may have influenced John’s decision.  One of the first R chondrites was recovered at the site in the mid-nineties.