The Hidden and the Found

We continue to wait for the weather to break over the Royal Society Range, which is between us and Elephant Moraine, so that we can get into the field. As you can see, the place is still pretty socked in, and the low pressure continues to linger. I imagine our little camp is enshrouded in a fog, and we would be hunkered down in our tents were we there now. Since we’re here in town, we continue to find things we didn’t know were there. I found that you can rent these giant fat wheel bikes and ride them all the way out to Willie Field and the runway! So I did that today, riding first to Scott Base and then out on the ice road all the way to the airport. We stopped for some snacks and drinks in the nice little cafeteria, that I’d forgotten was there, and then I found some things tucked away in my bags now hidden in cargo and waiting to go into the field. There were gorgeous views of Castle Rock and the peninsula, of White and Black Mountains behind Willie Field, and the somber, cloud-covered Erebus, all reminding me how lucky I am to be here. – Jani