Holiday greetings from the PI of ANSMET

One of the most common questions I get when people find out I run ANSMET is,  “How can you stand being away from home over the holidays?”   My answer is simple;  Christmas in the field is pretty special,  too.  Without the trappings of wreaths, trees, decorations and carols,  the holidays boil down to being generous with the people you care about, whether they are family or friends.  When you’re out in the middle of nowhere,  you naturally draw closer to the people you’re with, so ANSMET field parties become families,  for good or ill,  dependent on each other.  Sometimes it’s hard to be away from home,  but in my experience the ANSMET christmastimes are always festive and joyful,  with lots of smiles and laughter and even good food (made better by sharing with friends). And of course I’d MUCH rather have Christmas with my field party than go to just about any pre-christmas sale, ever.

Tomorrow will be my fourth Christmas at home with my kids in the last 20 years.  Normally I’d be in Antarctica, and I would have to harden my heart a little before I leave home-  otherwise the longing for my kids would stop me before I got out of the driveway.  But this year,  like Suess’s Grinch, the love and good spirits around me have made my heart grow three sizes.  I miss the field but being home definitely has its rewards. I hope you will all stay warm, embrace hope and peace, and enjoy an absolutely joyous holiday season!

Compensation.