The nerds of ANSMET 2015-2016: Morgan Martinez (new series)

Many of our readers know one or several members of this year’s ANSMET team, but there are team members that some of our readers don’t know. You may be asking yourself: who are these weirdos with whom my loved one is spending two months? Well you’re in luck, because we’ll be doing a series of blog posts to introduce you to each person on the 2015-2016 team. I thought we might kick off the series with our own Morgan Martinez, mostly because she is currently cooking me dinner (a Mexican beef stew) and is unable to escape my questioning. Let’s begin, shall we?

Name: Morgan Martinez
Hometown: Camden, SC
Current residence: San Francisco, CA
Background: I just defended my PhD in Chemistry at UC San Diego. My dissertation research examined the oxygen isotope composition of water in rock samples from meteorites, the Moon, and Mars to understand the history of water in the inner solar system.
Why did you apply to ANSMET the first time [note: this is Morgan’s second season]? I first heard of ANSMET from my friend and ANSMET veteran, Dr. Candace Kohl. It seemed like an incredible opportunity to have an epic adventure while collecting precious aliens, for science! For my graduate research, I had analyzed some Antarctic meteorites and participating in ANSMET would enable me to replace some of the samples I had used.
As a veteran of ANSMET, what brought you back a second time?: The light–it’s magical and unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. Also, I experienced a clarity of thought here that’s totally unique to this amazing place. Despite (or perhaps, more strangely, because) Antarctica’s uninhabitable, it feels like a home to me. It is otherworldly. I also like that being part of ANSMET allows me to contribute to planetary science while also being pushed physically–it requires physical and mental endurance unlike anything I’ve done before. Also, vacation packages to Bora Bora were a bit too pricey, so Antarctica was the logical choice.
Secret talent: Getting lost in time and space and pursuing absurdity with abandon.
Club membership: I am a proud member of the Animal Facts Club (AFC), San Diego chapter. We’re dedicated to learning cool facts about animals and also everything else–we don’t limit our learning! Power fact: The narwhal tusk is a sensory organ!
Volunteering: Currently I am a volunteer entropist at Langton Labs, San Francisco, CA.
After ANSMET: I’m adventuring in New Zealand with my life experience enhancer, Marshall Reaves, going sailing with my dad (hi, Papa!), then starting my search for a job, or something like it. If you’re looking for someone with a background in physical chemistry with experience building scientific hardware and steam yurts, adventuring, and general kick-assery, please do contact me!
If you could have a superpower that was either flying or being invisible, which would you choose?: Being invisible because I already fly at night.
Biggest beef: I have no pouch in which to carry my pizza.
Tell us about your hair: I always wondered what it was like to be a unicorn.

–Posted by Nina from ANSMET prom, New Sparkle City, south Miller Range, 3 January 2016