A beautiful, warm day of searching and a possible HED

In the immortal words of Cindy, the clouds were bonkers today.

A correction to yesterday’s post: I erroneously said that we had recovered a total of 361 samples, but in fact my enthusiasm got the better of me–it was actually 351. However, since we recovered 41 samples today, that means our season total is now 392. That’s starting to be respectable! Today was a warm, calm day–almost hot, even (for these parts). In the afternoon the sun was warm enough that there was meltwater on many rocks in the moraine we searched, and some of us were even able to take off Big Red (our USAP issued parka). All around us there were clouds developing over areas of higher elevation, the so-called mountain effect, but we stayed low and kept the sun with us all day. Our last recovery of the day was an odd looking meteorite that had a very dark exterior crust covering a grey interior, which Johnny suspects this might be a howardite–one of the meteorite types that we know come from the asteroidal body Vesta. That would be an exciting find, and I hope that Johnny’s right! Speaking of Johnny, today he emulated Con’s epic “jump” of yesterday, which resulted in this “yard sale.” This is his best shame face.

Why yes, I did need an extra pair of gloves and all of your snacks, don’t mind if I do.

–Posted by Nina in New Sparkle City, south Miller Range, 6 January 2016