Warm, but less comfy

Yesterday when I summited Ob Hill, it was overcast, -9 C (16 F) but windless. On my way up to the summit, I had to stop, peel-off my fleece pullover, and finish the climb in Tee-shirt and light parka – unzipped! Otherwise, I would have self-combusted. Today when I left to do some work, it was still overcast, a balmy -4 C (25 F), but the wind was blowing at 20-25 knots and kicking up the new snow of late last week. The wind chill was -12 C (10 F). Looking across the Ross Sea, the ground looks “fuzzy” because of all the blowing snow. I expect worse once we get out on the Polar Plateau. Indeed, I will be disappointed if it is not. In the words of Robert Falcon Scott, “Great God! this is an awful place…” Or, if you prefer, paraphrasing Prof. Bill Cassidy, who started the ANSMET program back in the mid-70s, “Life’s harsh on the Polar Plateau.” With advertising like that, who would not want to go camping on the Polar Plateau? I cannot wait!

Progress continues to be made in the field preparations. More gear got slipped into the cargo stream, including our food. At least I know now that it will not be a battle between John and me as to who eats whom to stay alive. Our skidoos have magically appeared at the pickup point for transport out to the airfield too. It is getting close, I can feel it. If schedules hold, John and I will be one our way inthree days.

Posted by duck (a.k.a. Dave Mittlefehldt)

Image 1: Looking generally southwest across the Ross Sea with the Brown Peninsula on the right and the flank of Mount Discovery barely visible to the left.
Image 2: Our trusty mounts waiting for transport to the airfield.