Running Up That Hill

Lauren, Daniela, Erin and Minako, ready to run.

Happy Sunday from McMurdo Station! Daniela, Erin, Lauren, and I (Minako) ran Scott’s Hut 10K Run this morning. Erin wore a cute R2D2 beanie to be able to run. The rest of us are a different story. We rented out costumes from the gear room. Daniela – Unicorn, Lauren – Reindeer, and Minako – Penguin!

Making the turn toward Hut Point.

It was a sunny beautiful day, but wind and the HILL! If you know Mactown, you know how steep hills are… especially towards Scott Base! And if you know me, I live in hot and flat Houston. It was not easy for me at all! But all scenery was gorgeous. You can see Mount Discovery, Royal Society Range, Black Island and White Island over the sea ice. There are people cheering us up all over the town. And eventually we all made it to the finish line!  Erin captured my ridiculous finish-line moment. Feels so good to be able to say that “we did the southernmost 10K”.

Minako the PENGUIN!

The annual Arts & Crafts show took place in the afternoon. There are so many talented people in McMurdo Station making so many unique handmade goodies. Stuffed penguins, seals and ‘big red’ figure Christmas ornaments, cards, paintings, small pouch and bags made from old ECW gears and old tent materials. Handmade accesories of all kinds. I picked up a few souvenirs.

The only USAP-approved way to “take” a penguin, seal, or whale.

At the very last, let me shout out to my dearest son from the bottom of the Earth:

Happy 14th Birthday, Peter!! Love you!

– Minako

PS- Happy birthday from your Uncle Ralph too, Peter!  Thank you for loaning us your mom for a little while.