Post for January 20, 2024

I’d call it a “white out” but it’s more of a “gray out”.

Today we woke up to a snow flurry and an all flat white world. It has been cloudy the last couple days, but worse today. As I peeked outside from the tent, I knew it was a tent day, a day when we don’t go out meteorite hunting. Everything disappeared from us. No mountains. Even Davis Nunataks (which are very close to our camp site) are not completely visible. As an ANSMET veteran, I warned Daniela to watch her steps when going out. Only three steps out from our tent, I tripped and fell. We both looked each other funny and just laughed.
For my blog entry today, I am following Daniela’s blog yesterday and doing an interview series. Today’s question is “The person you want to thank from Davis-Ward, Antarctica”.
Minako: Of course, my husband, Kevin Righter. He is an awesome, supportive husband and best daddy in the whole-wide world for our lovely children, Peter and Emily. Thank you and love you! And, we are creating more work for you by recovering more meteorites!

Minako in the tent, with Kevin, Peter and Emily in spirit.

Daniela: John Schutt, whom I met by chance during my last deployment in 2018 (a good outcome of the usual delays that come with Antarctic travel). Over the last 5 years, we’ve talked a lot about life transitions and his adventures in Antarctica and other icy worlds. ANSMET, he’s told me, is part of his “essence” and Antarctica his “home,” and though our reasons are different, I feel the same about this place. He encouraged me to keep asking Jim and Ralph to let me on the team despite not being a researcher (AKA the typical ANSMETer). I’ve learned a lot from him about persistence and wish he were here with us, regaling us with stories of modern and classic explorers.
Erin: A heartfelt thank you to both of my parents, who have always been unwaveringly supportive of my aspirations and the wild projects I try to pursue. They give me the strength and confidence to be ambitious, and for that, I will always be grateful.
Lauren: I am grateful to several ANSMET vets who encouraged me to apply, and who made the experience sound so incredible and relevant to our current work together. Thank you for sharing your advice, packing lists, and geologic map of the area!  I’m also grateful to the USGS for supporting my participation in this endeavor. Thank you to ANSMET leadership for planning this exciting season, and to a great group of colleagues on this trip. Last but not least, I’m thankful to friends and family for providing moral support and taking care of things at home so I can be here. Thank you for sending notes and photos to open on specific days here in the field – I’m overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and love these little surprises!
Jon: I want to thank my wife and daughter for supporting my ANSMET fieldwork participation.  I love you both!
Robert: I’d like to thank Jim for finally accepting me to join ANSMET. This was the 13th year I’ve sent a letter, which I’m told is a record!
Jim: Thank you Kris and Addie for rushing thru life w/o my help for two months! Couldn’t do this w/o both of your love and support 🙂
Brian: Thanks to all the McMurdo support staff that makes our season possible. From the Berg Field Center to Science Cargo and Fixed Wing,  none of this would be possible without all the help.
That’s all for today. We hope the weather get better very very soon.
– Minako from Davis Ward (she’s pretty sure that’s where they are).
Note from RPH:  My sincere thanks to all of the field team-  it’s easy for us at home to miss just how much effort you’ve put in for us, and for the planetary science community.  It’s really hard work,  and a lot of sacrifices have to be made.  But you make it seem fun;  thank you all!