Meet our Current Lab Members!

Get to know our current lab members Tara Dickinson, Theresa Lee, Marissa Lahr, and Mackenzie Minner!

Picture of Mackenzie Minner

Mackenzie is a first-year Speech-Language Pathology graduate student at CWRU with a Bachelor’s in Communication Sciences and Disorders.

Picture of Marissa Lahr

Marissa is a third-year undergraduate student double-majoring in Communication Sciences and Psychology.

Picture of Theresa Lee

Theresa is a third-year undergraduate student double-majoring in Communication Sciences and Psychology, with a minor in Spanish.

Picture of Tara Dickinson

Tara is a third year undergraduate student double-majoring in Communication Sciences and Psychology, with a minor in Public Health.

What made you want to work in the CSD field?

Tara: Speech-language pathology combines several of my passions: helping people, communication, and vocal anatomy. I’m looking forward to a career where I can problem solve and make a difference in clients’ lives.
Theresa: I think the field is so exciting and rewarding because there is so much to be studied and learned. I am also interested in seeing how the field progresses in terms of diversity.
Marissa: I really wanted to get to experience research firsthand. Now that I have gotten the chance, I’m hoping to continue in research as I continue my studies.

Mackenzie: I knew I wanted to work in the medical setting. I loved working with adults at my job at a nursing home and after shadowing an SLP in a hospital I realized I would enjoy the fast paced environment where I am able to work with many populations.

What made you want to join BiSC Lab?
Tara: I was interested in dysphagia and excited to learn about the research process.
Theresa: I wanted to learn more about swallowing outside of my coursework, as well as learn about how a research lab works.
Marissa: I’m studying Communication Sciences and Psychology at CWRU and Dr. Mulheren’s lab was the perfect blend of my two interests.

Mackenzie: I am interested in the anatomy and physiology of swallowing and this lab could give me more experience in that area.

What is your favorite part of BiSC Lab?
Tara: I’m grateful for the connections I’ve made with other lab members who have given me great advice and shared their knowledge and experiences.
Theresa: Since joining the lab my freshman year, I have been able to work with many inspiring lab members who have gone on to do amazing things. I would say the community is my favorite part.
Marissa: The people I get to work with in the lab are amazing and getting to see the research process in different stages has been a great experience.

Mackenzie: My favorite part of the BiSC Lab is collaborating with CSD students and faculty to work on swallowing-related projects.

What role does research play in your life?
Tara: I am interested in getting a Ph.D. to conduct clinical and translational research for the treatment of voice disorders.
Theresa: As a future speech-language pathologist, I recognize that research informs clinical practice. After working as a clinician for some time, I plan to return to school to earn my Ph.D. in Psychology or Communication Sciences.
Marissa: I am hoping to get my Ph.D. in either the CSD or Psychology field (or a blend of the two)

Mackenzie: Understanding research is critical for an SLP. I will have to refer to research to provide the best care for my patients.

What changes would you like to see in the field in the future?
Tara: I hope that clinicians in the field can be inclusive and competent in giving the best care to a diverse range of clients.
Theresa: I would like to see all the discussions of diversity and race turn into actual diversity in the field.
Marissa: I hope that the field gains more prominence in the future because it is such an important field doing life-changing research for many people.

Mackenzie: I would like for more people to know what the field of Speech-Language pathology is and to gain a more diverse population of SLPs.

How was the past school year been for you?
Tara: I’ve been grateful to have professors who have made virtual learning stay engaging and to stay involved with some clubs virtually.
Theresa: Since moving back to Cleveland in January, I have been enjoying balancing school and several extracurricular activities. It’s been tough, but super rewarding!
Marissa: The past school year has been different than past school years because of the pandemic. Overall, it has made me more able to keep myself on task when doing work and keeping track of deadlines. It has also shown me the importance of taking time for yourself outside of the busy school day.

Mackenzie: The past school year has been different due to Covid but it has allowed me to appreciate what I have. It has also taught me to become a more flexible student and student clinician.

Do you have any plans for the summer?
Tara: I will be participating in a research internship at the University of Cincinnati working on studies on hyperfunctional voice disorders and on improving vocal care for transgender and gender diverse clients.
Theresa: I will be working in BiSC Lab this summer! I will also be volunteering as an undergraduate intern at the FACEtime Camp for Teens Who Stutter at the Cleveland Speech and Hearing Center for the second time. Really excited to see the kids again.
Marissa: I am going to continue working in Dr. Mulheren’s research lab over the summer!

Mackenzie: I have a placement this summer at Edwin Shaw Rehabilitation Hospital.

Any fun facts about you?
Tara: I love singing, baking, and rollercoasters.
Theresa: I love to dance. I’m not great, but it is really fun and makes me feel confident!
Marissa: My favorite animal is the armadillo, and I am bilingual.

Mackenzie: My favorite place I have traveled was to Peru, as I got to see and walk around Machu Picchu.

Any hobbies or self-care activities you have picked up during COVID?
Tara: I started oil painting!
Theresa: Yoga has been really good for my back, especially after sitting on my computer all day. I also got back into reading during the pandemic.
Marissa: I have picked up knitting and am learning to crochet in hopes of making a blanket.

Mackenzie: I enjoy running outside in my neighborhood and when I have time, I enjoy listening to true crime podcasts.

What is one thing you are looking forward to after the pandemic is over?
Tara: Performing and going to see concerts.
Theresa: Visiting friends in New York.
Marissa: I love to sing and am in Case in Point and Footlighters here at CWRU, so I am looking forward to singing in person with my friends once the pandemic is over. I am also excited to do in-person data collection in the lab once it is safe to do so again.

Mackenzie: I am looking forward to engaging in more in-person therapy.

Stay tuned for more news!